Faculty & Research
Faculty & Research
Fernandez, Juan Antonio
Professor of Leadership, CEIBS
Juan Antonio Fernandez is Professor of Leadership at CEIBS. He served as Associate Dean and MBA Director at CEIBS from 2017 to 2020, Director of the Centre of Entrepreneurship from 2002 to 2005, the Director of the Diploma in Management Programme at CEIBS from 2000 to 2002. He was appointed as Senior Fellow a second time at Harvard Kennedy School (USA) from January to June 2016 after previously holding the title from August 2011 to July 2012. He was a Visiting Scholar at the University of Lancaster (UK) in 2006 and 2007.
Before joining CEIBS, he was professor at the School of International Business (ESCI) in Barcelona, Spain. He has taught at the Korean Development Institute (Korea), Asian Pacific University (Japan), IESE (Spain), John Cabot University (Italy), and EADA (Spain).
From 1997 to 1999 he was a member of the faculty of the Management Development Program at the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) of the United Nations. His prior experience includes serving as the CFO and member of the board of directors of Anfi del Mar S.A., Norway, advisor to the Ministry of Commerce of the Government of the Canary Islands, and Financial Analyst for the Industrial Spanish Bank, Spain. He was also the Assistant to the Commercial Attaché of the Spanish Embassy in Venezuela.
Prof. Fernandez received his Ph. D. and MBA degrees from IESE, Spain. He received a Diploma in Economics from The Economic Institute, University of Colorado, USA. He also received a degree of master in Liberal Arts on Psychology from Harvard University in 2018.
His work has been published in Harvard Business Review (Spain), Business Week-China, Organizational Dynamics, Business Strategy Review, Asian Case Research Journal, and the Barcelona Management Review. He has contributed to the following books: Employment and Manager's Career and State-Owned Enterprise Reform: Chinese Practice & Spanish Experience. He is the author and co-author of a number of teaching cases. He has co-authored five books:
- CHINA CEO: Voices of Experience (2006), John Wiley & Sons.
- Chinese SOEs Reform: CEO and Industry Perspective (2007), Routledge.
- China CEO: A Field Guide and China Entrepreneur (2007), John Wiley & Sons.
- China Entrepreneur (2009), John Wiley & Sons.
- Chinese Entrepreneurs (2010), CEIBS. His current research is in the area of Chinese culture and management.
- América Latina en China (2014), LID Editorial Mexicana.
He has given presentations about his Chinese research in India, Japan, South Korea, UK, France, Italy, Chile, Peru, Mexico, Mongolia, Ghana, Zambia and Spain. At CEIBS he also receives numerous groups from Latin America, Europe, USA and Africa.
- 1997 Ph.D. in Business Administration, IESE, University of Navarra
- Managing Multinationals in China: CEOs experience
- Chinese State Enterprises: adaptation to the market economy
- Foreign Entrepreneurs in China
- Challenges of Doing Business in China
- Cross cultural management
- Leading Change
- Strategy Business Simulations
- Design Thinking and Creativity