Professor of Economics and Finance;
Wu Jinglian Chair in Economics;
Associate Dean (Research), CEIBS
Dr. Bin Xu is Professor of Economics and Finance, Associate Dean (Research) at CEIBS. Before, he was the Chair of the Department of Economics and Decision Sciences at CEIBS. He received his B.A. (1986) and M.A. (1989) from Fudan University, and Ph. D. (1995) from Columbia University. Before joining CEIBS, Dr. Xu was a tenured professor at Warrington College of Business, University of Florida. He has also taught as a visiting professor at Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, and worked as a consultant for the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank.
Dr. Xu’s current research focuses on the global and Chinese economy, multinational enterprises in China, and trade and finance issues of emerging markets. He has published extensively in both international and Chinese journals, and is author of International Trade (Peking University Press, 2009). Dr. Xu is associate editor of the Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, and board member of the Asia-Pacific Trade Seminars.
Dr. Xu teaches macroeconomics and international finance at CEIBS. He has been invited to give speeches to executives of multinational enterprises and Chinese companies on issues related to the global and Chinese economies. Dr. Xu is the recipient of the 2009 and 2010 CEIBS Teaching Excellence Award.
- 1995 Ph. D. in Economics, Columbia University
- 1992 M. Phil. in Economics, Columbia University
- 1989 M.A. in International Economics, Fudan University
- 1986 B.A. in International Economics, Fudan University
- The Global and Chinese Economy
- Multinational Enterprises in China
- Trade and Finance Issues of Emerging Markets
- International Trade
- International Finance
- Managerial Economics
- Xu, Bin (2011), “Intraindustry Trade and the Skill Premium: Theory and Evidence” (with E. Dinopoulos, C. Syropoulos and Y. Yotov), Journal of International Economics, Volume 84, Issue 1, 2011, 15-25.
- Xu, Bin (2011), “The Impact of Trade and FDI Policies on Technology Adoption and Sourcing of Chinese Firms,” Contemporary Economic Policy, Volume 29, Number 2, 2011, 218-230.
- Xu, Bin (2010), “The Sophistication of Exports: Is China Special?” China Economic Review, Volume 21, Issue 3, 2010, 482-493.
- Xu, Bin (2009), International Trade, textbook in Chinese, Peking University Press.
- Xu, Bin (2009), “The Effects of Corporate Governance and Institutional Environment on Export Behaviour in Emerging Economies: Evidence from China” (with Jiangyong Lu and Xiaohui Liu), Management International Review, 49, 455-478.