The China Europe International Business School (CEIBS) offers a unique combination of “China Depth, Global Breadth” – taking advantage of its position as a leading business school in Asia to train responsible leaders. CEIBS’ vision is to become the most respected international business school by linking East and West in teaching, research, and business practice and by promoting China’s social and economic development through high-impact knowledge creation and dissemination. The school’s origins as a joint venture between the European Commission and the Chinese government have allowed CEIBS to develop a unique positioning in offering truly world-class business management education with proven China expertise. After 21 years of phenomenal growth, CEIBS has an impressive alumni base of 19,000+, the majority in leadership positions.
Frequently Asked Questions
CEIBS is a non-profit joint venture established in 1994 between the Chinese government and the European Commission. Its predecessor, the China-EC Management Institute (CEMI), was launched in Beijing in 1984, offering China’s first MBA programme.
CEIBS was the first business school in mainland China to offer a full-time MBA, an Executive MBA, and a wide array of Executive Education Programmes and it is the only Asian business school to have simultaneously achieved global ranking for all three of these programmes.
CEIBS also offers a Chinese language Finance MBA and collaborates with Shanghai Jiaotong University on a PhD programme.
The CEIBS EMBA is offered in both Chinese and English, with the English programme known as the Global EMBA.
Each year, roughly 190 MBA students and 700 EMBA students graduate from CEIBS. We have the largest EMBA Programme in the world in terms of students. Roughly 10,000 students enrol in the Executive Education Programmes (non-certificate) per year.
CEIBS’ main campus in Shanghai was built in 1999 and designed by famed Chinese architect IM Pei, a principal at Pei Cobb, Freed & Partners. The MBA, FMBA, EMBA, Global EMBA, World EMBA and Executive Education programmes are all offered at this location.
In April 2010 CEIBS held the Grand Opening for its Beijing Campus, giving the school its second stand-alone campus. The 3.3 hectare facility, designed by renowned Spanish architectural firm IDOM, is initially focused on offering EMBA and Executive Education classes. Phase I of the facility includes a 350-seat Grand Auditorium and 7 classrooms seating 500 students in total. The facility is located in Beijing’s Zhongguangcun Software Park, known as “China’s Silicon Valley”.
CEIBS also offers Executive Education courses at its teaching centre in Shenzhen and, in March 2009, officially began the CEIBS Africa Programme with EMBA classes taught in Accra, Ghana, CEIBS’ Africa Campus. The programme is taught by CEIBS professors; the students meet the same entrance standards required for China-based programmes, and receive a degree from CEIBS. The first class of EMBA students in Africa graduated on December 9, 2010. Later, CEIBS expanded its Africa offerings to include Executive Education programmes, as well as the Women Entrepreneurship and Leadership for Africa (WELA) programme offered in Accra, Nairobi, Lagos, etc. In 2016 the Africa EMBA became a part of the re-launched CEIBS Global EMBA, offering participants from the region an opportunity to study alongside their peers not just China but also Europe.
In 2015, CEIBS acquired the Lorange Institute of Business, Zurich. In 2017, the LIBZ was fully integrated into CEIBS’ operations and the name changed to the Zurich Institute of Business Education (ZIBE). This is CEIBS’ Zurich Campus where Study Tours and Executive Education courses are offered. The Zurich Campus is also the venue for the European track of CEIBS Global EMBA whose curriculum is identical to the one offered to participants in Shanghai, ranked among the Financial Times Top 20 seven years in a row (as of 2016).
During the past 22 years, over 19,000 executives have graduated from CEIBS MBA, FMBA, EMBA, Global EMBA, and longer-term Executive Education programmes. When all courses are included, CEIBS has offered training to more than 130,000 executives.
CEIBS boasts the largest alumni network of any China-based business school. CEIBS Alumni Associations operate 64 Alumni Chapters around the world; 46 within China and 18 (including 4 liaison offices) across Europe, Asia, North America and Africa.
Yes. The world’s 2 leading international accreditation systems are EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System) & AACSB (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business).
- In December, 2008 CEIBS was accredited by the AACSB, the US standard for business schools.
- In 2004, CEIBS received international accreditation from EQUIS, making it the first school in mainland China to receive this accreditation. In June 2007, EQUIS renewed its accreditation of CEIBS through 2012. It was renewed again in June 2012 through to 2017.
- In 2002, the Academic Degree Committee of the State Council, Chinese government, formally recognised the CEIBS MBA degree.
CEIBS is the only Asian business school to have achieved global ranking for its MBA, EMBA and Executive Education programmes. Despite being just 22 years, the CEIBS MBA Programme has ranked within the Top 25 of the Financial Times' annual global business school survey for 12 consecutive years (2005-2016). The EMBA Programme is ranked #13 (2016). For specific details, see below.
CEIBS MBA Programme:
- #1 in Asia, #11 globally full-time MBA Programme (2017): Financial Times
- #1 in Asia, #4 globally among 2-year programmes outside the US, 2015: Forbes Magazine
- #1 in China 2011, 2007 & 2006 (3 consecutive surveys): Bloomberg Businessweek China
- #1 "Most Valuable Full-time MBA Programme in China" (for five consecutive surveys in 2005-2007, 2010, 2012): Forbes China
- #24 full-time MBA in the world (2016): Bloomberg Businessweek
- "Best Business School in China" (2014, 2011, 2010, 2009): Eduniversal (award chosen by 1,000 international b-school deans)
- #9 among "Top B-schools in Asia/Australasia" (2011) QS Top MBA
- #15 among Best International Schools - Poets & Quants 2016
CEIBS EMBA Programme:
- Top 20 Globally for 7 Consecutive Years, #13 in 2016: Financial Times
CEIBS Executive Education Combined Ranking:
- #25 worldwide (2016): Financial Times
CEIBS Executive Education Open Enrolment Programme:
- #22 worldwide (2016): Financial Times
CEIBS Executive Education Company Specific Programme (CSP):
- #38 worldwide (2016): Financial Times
The CEIBS MBA programme sends more than half of its students to 40+ partner schools for international exchange. The school has been ranked among the leading schools for "international experience" by the Financial Times in recent years. More than half of the exchange partner schools of CEIBS are on the Financial Times’ Top 50 list.
The CEIBS Marketing & Communications Department is available to assist journalists in the following ways:
- Faculty interviews: CEIBS has more than 170 professors, each with a distinct and deep-rooted area of specialisation related to China. All professors speak fluent English, many speak Chinese, and some speak European languages. Each professor offers a blend of international experience (all have PhD and teaching experience from top-tier international business schools) matched with China research areas.
- Information, research, story ideas: CEIBS Marketing & Communications Department includes former journalists who remember well the pressure of deadlines, fact-checking, interviews for breaking news and impatient editors. We are at your service in providing story ideas, leads, and information generated from CEIBS teaching and research.
- Access to events, seminars, forums: CEIBS hosts several newsworthy, media-friendly events each week. Visit the CEIBS website for current listings of upcoming events.
- CEIBS Knowledge: where our professors and other experts regularly offer their insight on current affairs, or share their latest research. Content includes both text and video as well as CEIBS alumni magazine TheLINK.
- Quick Quotes: A snapshot of faculty comments on hot topics in the news.
CEIBS Media Interview Request Form
CEIBS welcomes media interview requests for its faculty, students and alumni. To ensure that the process is as efficient as possible for all parties concerned, please complete this form and submit it to any members of the communications team listed below. A list of sample questions and a clear deadline will help speed up the process of finding just the right interviewee for your needs. We look forward to working with you!
Sample form for reference:
March 1, 2017
General Interview Topic
Implications for China/UK relations post Brexit
March 3, 2017
March 5, 2017
For more info, contact: