Associate Professor of Strategy
China Europe International Business School (CEIBS)
699 Hong Feng Road, Shanghai, 201206, China
Tel: +86 21 2890 5624, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PhD, INSEAD, 2008.
Ph.D. in Management, Major: Strategy and Management
Dissertation Title: Strategy and Performance under Earnings Pressure
M.Sc. in Management, INSEAD, 2005.
Major: Strategy and Management
Master of Management, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 2002.
Major: Business Management
Bachelor of Economics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 1999.
Major: International Finance
Minor: Automatic Controlling
Associate Professor of Strategy, CEIBS (2017 - present).
Assistant Professor of Management, CEIBS (2015 - 2017).
Assistant Professor of Strategy, Paul Merage School of Business, UC Irvine (2008 – 2015).
Strategy and Capital Market, Corporate Governance, Competitive Strategy
Strategic Management, Industry and Competitive Analysis, Business Model Innovation and Competition, Managing Innovative Organization, Corporate Governance
Awards and Honors
Celebration of Teaching Dean’s Honoree Award, Undergraduate Division, UC Irvine (May 2014)
Winner, BlackRock/NACD (National Association of Corporate Directors) “Global Challenge for Innovation in Corporate Governance”. (May 2013).
Best Reviewer, IACMR (International Association of Chinese Management Research) Bi-annual Conference. (June 2012).
Best conference paper finalist, West Academy of Management. (February 2012).
Booz Allen Hamilton/SMS PhD Fellowship, Strategic Management Society. (October 2006).
Best Symposium Proposal Award, OMT Division, Academy of Management. (August 2006).
Journal Articles, Peer-Reviewed
1. Zhang, Y., Gimeno, J. (2010). Earnings Pressure and Competitive Behavior: Evidence from the US Electricity Industry. Academy of Management Journal, 53(4), 743-768.
2. Zhang, Y., Zhang, Y., Gimeno, J. (2016). Earnings Pressure and Long-Term Corporate Governance: Can Long-Term-Oriented Investors and Managers Reduce the Quarterly Earnings Obsession? Organization Science, 27(2), 354–372.
3. Bromiley, P., Rau, D., Zhang, Y. (2017). Is R&D Risky? Strategic Management Journal, 38(4): 876–891. *
4. Gong, Y., Zhang, Y., Xia, J. (2017). "Learning from Success and Failure in Acquisitions". Journal of Management, forthcoming. *
5. Currim, I., Lim, J., Zhang, Y. (2017) “Commitment to Marketing Spending under Pressures from Analysts’ Earnings Expectations: Does it lead to Higher Stock Market Performance?”. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, forthcoming. *
6. Oh, H. Bae, J., Currim, I., Lim, J., Zhang, Y. (2016). Marketing Spending, Firm Visibility, and Asymmetric Stock Returns of Corporate Social Responsibility Strengths and Concerns. European Journal of Marketing,50(5/6), 838 - 862. *
7. Currim, I., Lim, J., Zhang, Y. (2016) “Commitment to Marketing Spending through Recessions: Better or Worse Stock Market Returns?”. European Journal of Marketing, 50(12), 2134 - 2161. *
(Papers with *: the authors contributed equally)
Conference Proceedings, Peer-Reviewed
8. Zhang, Y., Xia, J., Gong, Y. Analyst Pressure and Corporate Down-scoping: A Balanced-power Approach. In Academy of Management Meeting Best Paper Proceedings. (2014).
9. Zhang, Y., Gong, Y. Strategic Investment under Earnings Pressure: the Role of Performance Feedback. In Academy of Management Meeting Best Paper Proceedings. (2013).
10. Zhang, Y., Gimeno, J. Shareholder Time Horizons, CEO Incentives, and Strategic Price Competition under Earnings Pressure. In Academy of Management Meeting Best Paper Proceedings. (2010).
11. Zhang, Y., Gimeno, J. Milking the Cash Cow: Earnings Pressure and Competitive Behavior in the U.S. Electricity Industry. In Academy of Management Meeting Best Paper Proceedings. (2007).
12. Zhang, Y. Capital Structure and Competitive Behavior: The Effect of Equity Financing and Earnings Pressure. In Academy of Management Meeting Best Paper Proceedings. (2005).
CEIBS Faculty Research Grant, CEIBS. (RMB130,000, October 2016 – present)
CEIBS-Cathy Capital Research Grant, CEIBS. (RMB270,000, January 2016 – present)
Council on Research, Computing and Library Resources, UC Irvine. ($3,500, January 2013 - 2015).
John & Marilyn Long U.S.-China Institute for Business & Law, UC Irvine. ($5,000, July 2011 - 2014).
Don Beall Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, UC Irvine. ($7,500, June 2011 - 2014).
Council on Research, Computing and Library Resources, UC Irvine. ($3,500, January 2011 - November 2011).
Academy of Management, Strategic Management Society.
Middle Manager Development Program, Strategic Thinking (2016 - present)
Company Specific Program, Business Model Innovation (2016 - present)
Finance MBA, Strategic Management. (2016)
Executive MBA, Strategic Management. (2016 - present)
Full Time MBA, Judo Strategy. (2016 - present)
Full Time MBA, Strategic Management. (2015 - present)
At UC Irvine:
Full Time MBA, Business Dynamics. (2011 - 2015)
Full Time MBA, Managing Innovative Organizations. (2008 - 2015)
Full Time MBA, Strategic Management (2009 - 2010)
Undergraduate MGMT 110, Strategic Management. (2009 - 2014)
Teaching Materials Developed
Chobani vs. Danone: The Battle for Greek Yogurt
Hupu,com: Fighting or Partnering with BAT? (with Zhu Qiong)
Strategic Change at Groupon.com (with Chen Dengbiao)
Evolution of Symphony Orchestra Industry (with Peter Moran)
Doctoral Committee and Supervising
At UC Irvine:
2014 - 2015, Scott Mitchell, Member (Strategy, University of Kansas)
2013 – 2014, Joern Kleinhans, Faculty Advisor (Strategy)
2013 - 2014, Hannah Oh, Member (Marketing, University of Nebraska, Omaha)
2011 - 2013, Joshua Hernsberger, Member (Strategy, University of West Kentucky)
2010 - 2012, Fei Kang, Member (Accounting, California State University, Pomona)
2010 - 2012, Sujung Choi, Member (Finance, Ulsan National Institute of Science & Technology, Korea)
Brownbag series coordinator, Strategy and Entrepreneurship Area (Sep 2015 - present).
At UC Irvine:
Member, Strategy Area Search Committee. (2009 – 2010, 2011, 2014).
Member, Academic Staff Evaluation Committee (2017 - present).
At UC Irvine:
Member, Master Program Committee. (August 2013 – August 2014).
Member, Undergraduate Program Committee. (August 2011 – August 2014).
Member, PhD Committee. (August 2008 - August 2011, August 2014 – June 2015).
At UC Irvine:
Member, Board on Undergraduate Scholarships, Honors, and Financial Aids. (March 2012 - 2015).
Editorial Board Member, Strategic Management Journal (Jan 2017 – present).
Editorial Board Member, Academy of Management Perspectives (2015 – present).
Ad Hoc Reviewer, Academy of Management Journal, Strategic Management Journal, Organization Science, Administrative Science Quarterly, Strategy Science.