WANG， CONG 王 丛
China Europe International Business School
Ph.D., Finance, Vanderbilt University, 2007
M.A., Economics, Nanyang Technological University, 2002
B.B.A., Guanghua School of Management, Beijing University, 1999
09/2016-present Professor of Finance, China Europe International Business School, Shanghai, China
01/2009-09/2016 Associate Professor (with tenure), Department of Finance, Chinese University of Hong Kong
08/2007-12/2008 Assistant Professor, Department of Finance, Chinese University of Hong Kong
Corporate Finance: Corporate Governance, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Executive Compensation.
(1) Corporate Governance and Acquirer Returns, (with Ronald Masulis and Fei Xie), August 2007, Journal of Finance 62, 1851-1889.
Top 10 most-cited papers published at Journal of Finance in 2007 (reported by Journal of Finance)
(2) Corporate Governance Transfer and Synergistic Gains from Mergers and Acquisitions, (with Fei Xie), February 2009, Review of Financial Studies 22, 829-858.
(3) Agency Problems at Dual-Class Companies, (with Ronald Masulis and Fei Xie), 2009, Journal of Finance, 64, 1697-1727
Top 10 most-cited papers published at Journal of Finance in 2009 (reported by Journal of Finance)
(4) Do Executive Stock Options Induce Excessive Risk Taking? (with Zhiyong Dong and Fei Xie), October 2010, Journal of Banking and Finance 34, 2518-2529.
(5) Globalizing the Boardroom - The Effects of Foreign Directors on Corporate Governance and Firm Performance (with Ronald Masulis and Fei Xie), 2012, Journal of Accounting and Economics 53, 527-554
2015 Emerald Citations of Excellence for 2015
(6) Industry Expertise of Independent Directors and Board Monitoring (with Fei Xie and Min Zhu), 2015, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 50, 929-962.
(7) Foreign Cash: Taxes, Internal Capital Markets, and Agency Problems (with Jarrad Harford and Kuo Zhang), 2016, Review of Financial Studies, Forthcoming.
(1) Labor Unemployment Risk and CEO Incentive Compensation (with Andrew Ellul and Kuo Zhang) (2015 EFA, 2016 AFA)
(2) Employee Influence, Worker-Manager Alliance, and Shareholder Returns from Acquisitions (with Ronald Masulis and Fei Xie)
(3) Financial Fraud and Analyst Reputation (with Xiumin Martin and Xiangang Xin)
(4) Older and Wiser, or Too Old to Govern? (with Ronald Masulis, Fei Xie, and Shuran Zhang) (2017 AFA)
Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics, Review of Financial Studies, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Management Science, Journal of Empirical Finance, Journal of Banking and Finance, Financial Management, Financial Review, Finance Research Letters, Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Corporate governance: An International Review, Grant Reviewer for Hong Kong Research Grants Council.
l Principal Investigator, China National Natural Science Foundation Grants, 2012, (RMB600,000), “Political and Social Burdens, Corporate Acquisition Decision, and CEO Turnover ” .
l Principal Investigator, General Research Fund 2010-2011 (Hong Kong Research Grants Council, HK$360,750), “Do foreign directors enhance firm value? ”
l Principal Investigator, General Research Fund 2008-2009 (Hong Kong Research Grants Council, HK$576,000), “Mitigating Information Asymmetry: Local Advisors in Cross-border Mergers and Acquisitions”.
Citations of published papers (as of September 2016)
l Google Scholar: 1500+
At CUHK: M&A for MBA and Msc programs; Corporate Finance for EMBA and EMPAcc programs
At CEIBS: M&A for EMBA, EDP, and Finance MBA programs
l CUHK 2010 Young Researcher Award
l Hanna Bank Outstanding Paper Award, 2nd International Conference on Asia- Pacific Financial Markets
l 2013 CUHK Business School Teaching Award (awarded to the top 2 MBA/EMBA teachers)
l 2015 Emerald Citations of Excellence
Supervision of Graduate Students
Doctoral dissertation supervisor for:
Yang DUAN (assistant professor at Hong Kong Baptist University, PhD graduated from CUHK in 2013)
Kuo ZHANG (assistant professor at School of Economics & WISE, Xiamen University, PhD graduated from CUHK in 2016)
Doctoral dissertation co-supervisor for:
Lu LI (associate professor at Shanghai International Studies University, PhD graduated from Shanghai University of Finance and Economics in 2011)
Xiaofeng ZHAO (assistant professor at Lingnan University, PhD graduated from CUHK in 2016)