- News & Events
- Contact Us
Programme Start Date: 2014TBD Modular [Beijing/Taipe/Hong Kong/London] English with sequential Chinese interpretation
To ensure the continuity of your learning, you are required to make proper arrangements according to the course schedule after receiving your letter of enrollment. From 2014 onwards, we will neither make up lessons for you nor confer you with the certificate of completion if you are absent from the course for personal reasons.
As the vigorous development of art market in Asia is boosting an increasingly high demand for art education, China Europe International Business School joins hands with Christie’s Education to jointly launch “The Global Art Market: Artwork Collection & Investment” Programme. An international team of dedicated art-world experts, academics and practitioners will be brought together in Beijing, Taipei, Hong Kong and London, to offer a full range of knowledge about art appreciation, collection, management and investment to those wishing to gain an in-depth understanding of all aspects of the art business. The Programme will give participants access to all parts of the art world through art related lectures, field visits, as well as communication and interactions with art-world experts.
China Europe International Business School (CEIBS) was established in 1994 as a joint venture between the European Commission and the Municipal Government of Shanghai. The school aims to combine international management education with profound knowledge of Chinese business environment, and to educate responsible leaders versed in “China Depth, Global Breadth”. CEIBS has brought together a prestigious faculty team whose members come from top international business schools, regularly provide consulting services to Chinese and multinational companies, and develop China-relevant cases. CEIBS offers a full-time MBA programme, a part-tem Finance MBA programme, a part-time executive MBA programme, and a wide array of Executive Education programmes.
Christie’s Education has an unparalleled reputation for professional art education. Its unique courses in History of Art and Art-World Practice and the Art Market Management open doors into a variety of career paths from the full range of activities in an auction house to art related jobs in creative industry as well as the public sector. Drawing on its long experience of object-based teaching, Christie’s Education has developed an international team of dedicated art-world experts who are committed to educating and inspiring the next generation of art-world professionals to combine art theories with art-world practices such as art appreciation and art management. Founded in 1766 by James Christie, Christie's conducted the greatest auctions of the past centuries, and today remains a popular showcase for the unique and the beautiful. Christie’s has offices in 32 countries and 10 salerooms around the world.
Artworks are often scarce and non-renewable, and an increase in their value can therefore be expected with the growth of economic aggregate over time. By choosing this alternative investment form, investors can not only gain investment returns, but can disperse relevant risks and improve the portfolio allocation efficiency in an effective manner. Furthermore, Art investments are a combination of business and pleasure through which investors may sharpen their art appreciation competency, and have their personal dignity, reputation and image elevated.
CEIBS takes the lead in offering art education by partnering with the world top auction giant Christie's to jointly launch “The Global Art Market: Artwork Collection & Investment” Programme. The programme consists of four modules and will be held at four art centers, namely, Beijing, Taipei, Hong Kong and London, to demonstrate the art world from both the historical and market perspectives. It will allow participants to explore both the theoretical and practical sides of art world by offering them an in-depth knowledge pertaining to the art history and artwork market from such aspects as the international art market, modern and contemporary Chinese art, as well as the categories of Chinese ceramics, fine arts and jewelry. It also will include in-depth visits to museums, artist studios and private collection rooms under the guide of senior appraisers or lecturers from the museums. While casting light on the status quo of the auction industry and the art market from multiple perspectives, the programme will provide participants with an opportunity to appraise some real auction items and sharpen their understanding about the operation and management of artwork market.
Through this programme, participants will be able to:
- Improve their art culture and aesthetic attainment, as well as the ability to appreciate the eastern and western cultural essence
- Better understand and perceive the art connotation of artworks, receive vicarious pleasure, and fully appreciate the special charm of art
- Gain a full-range knowledge about artwork appreciation, collection, management and investment
- Get familiar with the major categories, characteristics and development trends of Chinese and western artworks, and understand the core value of artworks
- Know the features of Chinese and western artwork markets
- Explore the art resources of art cities across the world and develop an artistic trait with international perspective
- Establish connection with artwork collectors, experts and scholars
The programme receives generous support from Christie’s, and will fully explore the museums and galleries located in Beijing, Taipei, Hong Kong and London to help the participants to learn more about the eastern and western art. Four modules are included:
Module 1: Traditional Chinese Art Center--Beijing (May 6-9, 2013)
- Course Overview
- Chinese jade
- Ancient Chinese paintings and calligraphies--Ming Dynasty
- Ancient Chinese paintings and calligraphies--Qing Dynasty
- Interpreting artwork import/export rules and regulations
- Contemporary Chinese art--oil painting
- Contemporary Chinese art--sculpture & installation art
- Art investment
- Exploring museums and fine art resources in Beijing
Module 2: Oriental Art Center--Taipei (September 10-12, 2013)
- Ancient Chinese Bronzes
- Chinese ceramics
- Modern Chinese paintings and calligraphies--traditional expression
- Modern Chinese paintings and calligraphies--western styles
- Chinese art in the 21st century
- Evolution of art market--Chinese collectors
- Evolution of art market--Western tradition
- History and roles of auction houses
- Exploring museums and fine art resources in Taipei
Module 3: Rising International Art Center--Hong Kong (November 19-21, 2013)
- Precious jewelry--gems
- Precious jewelry--antiquities
- Art insurance & management
- Art-market laws and regulations
- Watches--modern designs
- Handling, storage & protection
- Exploring museums and fine art resources in Hong Kong
Module 4: International Art Auction City ---London (April 22-26, 2014)
- Exploring the value of art
- Chinese collectors in UK
- Italian Renaissance artworks
- North European Renaissance artworks
- Impressionist artworks
- Modern art in Europe and USA
- Post-war artworks in Europe and USA
- Contemporary art in Europe and USA
- International investors in contemporary art market
- Manage your art property appropriately
- Appreciate and evaluate auction items--Chinese ceramics & works of art
- Appreciate and evaluate auction items--paintings of old masters
- Appreciate and evaluate auction items--prints
- Exploring museums and fine art resources in London
The programme will be co-developed by CEIBS and Christie’s Education, and domestic and overseas artistic experts will be invited to give lessons, including researchers, experienced collectors, advisors and connoisseurs. The students will be deeply impressed by the broad, in-depth and abundant artistic knowledge showed to them, thus they could enjoy a diverse and unique study experience.
- Prof. Zhu Xiaoming, Programme Director, CEIBS
- Francois Curiel, President, Christie’s Asia
- Jane Hay, Director and General Manager, Christie’s UK
- Rosemary Scott, International Academic Director of Asian Art, Christie's
- Michael Michael, London Academic Director, Christie’s Education
- Robert TSAO, entrepreneur and famous collector in Taipei
- Li ZHAO, Director of Art Market Analysis Center, China Central Academy of Fine Arts
Applicants can apply for the programme in either of the two following ways:
- Online application: Please visit the CEIBS Executive Education website at http://exed.ceibs.edu, then select the programme you want to take and click “Apply Now” to apply for the programme; or
- Please call the CEIBS Customer Service Team for a printed Application Form, then fill in the form and send it to the CEIBS Customer Service Team by fax, email or mail.
Applications are requested at least 20 days before the programme start date. Applications are reviewed as they arrive and admissions are subject to the final confirmation of CEIBS. Any applications received after that date will be considered on the basis of space availability. For more information, please contact our Customer Service Team in Shanghai, Beijing or Shenzhen.
Ms. Pang Yilin
Tel: (86 10) 8296 6683 / 139 1088 5595
CEIBS reserves the right to amend information including price, date, location, faculty, daily schedule and other details.